- If you are wondering whether or not you can mail a cell phone with a battery, the short answer is yes, you most definitely can.
- However, mailing a cell phone with a battery is not that simple. You cannot just seal it and send it off. There are a lot of guidelines and precautions that need to be followed and taken care of.
- This is because cell phones have extremely flammable lithium-ion batteries that need proper care and attention. So, it is crucial for retailers– or anyone for that matter- to ensure that the cell phone you are mailing is properly labeled, packed, and all the guidelines have been adhered to.
The first thing you need to do is safely pack the cell phone you want to mail. After all, you don’t want an expensive phone to get damaged in the shipping process, do you? So, excellent packaging is not a choice– it’s a necessity.
Never remove the lithium battery from the cell phone; let it stay attached as the battery terminals mustn’t be exposed during mailing. Also, keep the cell phone switched off before you pack it to avoid any kind of risky situation while shipping.
When you mail a cell phone with a lithium battery, you need to follow some rules and regulations. Some of them are:
- Cell phones with damaged lithium-ion batteries must not be shipped.
- A cell phone with a lithium-ion battery must be properly packed to avoid short-circuiting, exploding, or any other hazardous situation while in shipment.
- Due to its highly flammable nature, a cell phone with a lithium-ion battery requires a special UN 3481 label on the package.
Mailing your cell phone via a reliable carrier is crucial for both the safety of the device as well as the timely delivery of it. The most trusted and commonly used carriers include:
The main reason most people prefer these courier services is that they have trained staff that has experience in safely handling lithium batteries. Since they are so reputable, the chances of them not following the regulations are quite low.
To mail a cell phone via USPS, ensure:
- that each cell contains no more than 1.0 grams of lithium content.
- The shipment doesn’t have more batteries than the number required to operate the device.
- Each mailpiece contains not more than 8 cell phones or 2 batteries.
You can read about the USPS packaging instructions here.
Yes, you can send a mobile phone via Royal Mail. But you need to ensure that the lithium-ion battery is stored within the mobile phone, is well packed, and the maximum net quantity of the phones or batteries is 5kg per parcel.
Yes, AA batteries can easily be sent through the mail.
Yes, you are allowed to ship batteries as long as you follow the prescribed requirements and regulations.
The cost of nailing a cell phone depends on a lot of factors. However, the cheapest price in the US would be anywhere around $14 with USPS, $16 with FedEx, $13 with UPS.
My name is Chirag Panikar. I am a newbie blogger, here to give you guys some tips and tricks which will ease your life surrounded by tech. Two things I love are GYM and gaming. Finding new things to learn every day that’s the whole point.????